VIA is committed to promoting positive relations and outreach in the community. A number of programs are offered to engage the community in public transportation and create partnerships with those we serve:
- Class Pass – The Class Pass program works with local school teachers to help them arrange student field trips using VIA’s mainline bus service.
- VIA eXplore Learning Lab – The VIA eXplore Learning Lab is designed to engage the next generation of VIA riders with interesting, easy-to-follow information and activities for the bus and the classroom. VIA eXplore brings the ride to you with a reverse field trip experience that helps educate students about the benefits of public transportation, and how to use VIA’s programs and services safely.
- Youth Art Contest – VIA’s popular Youth Art Contest generates nearly 9,000 entries each year, encouraging local artists in grades pre-K through 12 to illustrate various transit-related themes.
- Poetry on the Move– VIA holds an annual poetry contest called “Poetry on the Move.” This contest is open to all poets in South and Central Texas, and the ten winning entries are printed on interior cards and distributed throughout VIA’s fleet.
- Adopt-A-Shelter – This program helps promote civic involvement by adopting out the agency’s bus shelters. Adopting organizations and individuals help keep the shelters clean and report any concerns with maintenance, graffiti, repairs, or security issues. They are recognized on plaques on their adopted shelters.
- Buster– VIA’s mascot, Buster, makes appearances at schools, neighborhood fairs, children’s functions, ribbon cuttings, and other community events to promote the fun face of VIA.
- National Arts Program – The National Arts Program works with VIA to organize an annual VIA Employee Art Contest and Exhibit. This exhibit showcases the artistic talents of VIA’s employees and their family members. The artwork is displayed in a local art gallery for one month before being put on display at VIA headquarters.
- United Way – VIA employees participate in the annual United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County Community Campaign drive. In 2011, VIA employees raised over $114,000 (the highest amount to date) to support more than 160 programs at 60 agencies.
- VIA Moves Me – VIA provides more than 42 million passenger trips each year, connecting our community with the places where we live, work, play, and learn. Our customers and their experiences are as unique and diverse as the region we serve, with one thing in common—riding VIA.